[Interest] Alone

Roland Hughes roland at logikalsolutions.com
Sun Dec 23 19:16:44 CET 2018

Waitman,

The one I had personal experience with was OpenVMS. Microsoft been
paying owners of that OS boo-coo bucks to kill it off for years. Killing
it off means going to prison though and Microsoft isn't willing to pay
that price. HP did find a loophole though, you could fire all of the
core developers and just let the OS coast, so that is what they did.

TandemĀ  c89
https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c02128447

some mention of possible c11
https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c02128447

but COBOL only goes to COBOL85 so C11 can't be complete
https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c02128447

Unisys appears to be in same boat.
https://public.support.unisys.com/2200/docs/cp16.0/pdf/78310422-012.pdf
UCS C is written in accordance with the specifications of the American
National
Standards Institute, Inc. in American National Standard for Information
Systems
Programming Language C, X3.159-1989

Basically any of the older platforms which were used in the high volume
high availability severe security financial worlds. The vendors may have
went away, but the platforms didn't. Don't be surprised to find
financial institutions still running on Prime computers. Once a
proprietary system gets past a certain age, it gains in security rather
than loses. It becomes less and less compatible with everything else
making a breach harder and harder.

They don't "need" remote logging. New regulations to combat identity
theft by making financial institutions far more liable for breaches
force remote logging on them. Various "monitoring" services now exist.
They only accept the latest syslog message "standard" RFC5424. I assume
that is because it is one guy with a cast-off Pentium computer running
some free Linux distro having gotten a direct domain for their spare
bedroom/basement.

Not just system level errors, but application, failed password,
everything must be routed. Most of the older OS don't have a central
error logging system, but, rather, things are split off because
different groups would be responsible for them.

These outside services are just there to check a "do not go to prison"
box. I've yet to hear about any of them actually detecting and stoppingĀ
a breach. I've also not heard of any breach cases involving a third
party monitor going to court to see how the finger pointing played out.

--
Roland Hughes, President
Logikal Solutions

http://www.theminimumyouneedtoknow.com