[Interest] Tricky to download Qt online installer for 64-bit Linux

Christian Gagneraud chgans at gmail.com
Sat Jan 6 23:02:52 CET 2018

On 7 January 2018 at 10:18, René J. V.  Bertin <rjvbertin at gmail.com> wrote:
> Christian Gagneraud wrote:
>
>>> Uh... why do we provide a 32-bit installer in the first place, if we don't
>>> provide a 32-bit build of Qt?
>>
>> This one allows to install Qt/32bits on a 32bits PC, up to Qt-5.5.
>
> Lucky raskals, we on Mac get a "Maintenance Tool" for about all Qt5 versions but
> that runs only on recent OS versions... and that will insist on updating itself
> to a version that maybe won't run on the current host.

We (Linux users) are not as lucky as you think, the two installers
come with maintenance tools as well, but don't play together, you
would have to install them side by side (not tested). One allows you
to develop with Qt/32bits <= 5.5, while the other Qt/64bits >= 5.0
The 32 bits comes with an old version of QtCreator, basically it's
just a frozen version of the last official Linux-32 binaries.
It might be useful for some thought.

Anyway, there's definitely a bug on qt.io. Is anyone from the Qt
Company aware of this?

Chris