[Interest] Qt on macOS 10.14 Mojave

Alexandru Croitor alexandru.croitor at qt.io
Wed Jul 4 16:31:40 CEST 2018

The team working on Qt For Python has already encountered an issue with CA layer backed views.

The current workaround to get tests and integrations succeed is to disable the feature via the currently available environment variable, but I guess 10.14 forces us to use layers, which means we will have a problem in the near future.

The issue is that none of the views / widgets get drawn (-[QNSView displayLayer] is not called).

Unfortunately I was not able to come up with a small reproducible example, but I do have a big reproducible example which involves Qt For Python and the official Python interpreter.

I've spoken to Simon and Tor Arne, and investigated multiple avenues but I couldn't find what's the problem.

The best information so far is that it happens because the python executable was built with minimum deployment target 10.6, and Qt is built with a higher one. If I use a Python installer that was built against 10.9, the issue disappears.

I think we will need to either find a different workaround or a proper fix and for that we will need your (macOS QPA team) help.