[Interest] Is it possible to crosscompile qmake?

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Sat Jul 21 18:55:27 CEST 2018

On Saturday, 21 July 2018 09:40:39 PDT S.D.T. Servicios de Alto Rendimiento
wrote:
> Is to compile qmake and everything in qt base module from my host machine
> for being executed in the raspberry pi and not ever in the host.

That's supported: you compile on the host and execute on the target. But the
resulting qmake is for the host, like all the rest of the tools.

> I want to develop with the IDE inside the raspberry Pi in qt 5.11.0 (which
> discards linux repositories) and compiling inside the pi this module may
> take up to 40 hours

Put up with it. If you're going to develop on that device, you should get used
to slow build times.

> So I wanted to know if this kind of cross compiling is possible in any way
> as my platform does not match my current system and if so what the
> necessary options in the configure files are for this.

It might be possible, but it's not supported. Note that qmake is not the only
tool: you also need moc, rcc, uic, qdbusxml2cpp, qdbuscpp2xml, etc. There are
a lot of tools that need to be compiled for the target that the regular Qt
build would only compile for host machine.