[Interest] Event inspection after delivery

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Sun Jul 22 18:05:58 CEST 2018

On Sunday, 22 July 2018 09:01:02 PDT Konstantin Shegunov wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 22, 2018 at 6:54 PM, Thiago Macieira <thiago.macieira at intel.com>
> wrote:
> > QCoreApplication::notify will help you for now, but that will not work in
> > Qt
> > 6.
>
> Yes, I read the warning, that's why I posted here. My follow up question(s)
> would then be:
> How will the fine grained control that notify() gives be replaced, or will
> it be at all?

Unknown. That needs to be developed.

The problem in question is that notify() is a virtual function in
QCoreApplication, which means we can't thread-safely deliver events in
auxiliary threads while the main thread is either constructing or destructing
the QCoreApplication. My inkling is to simply ignore the QCoreApplication when
outside the main thread. Hence the warning.

> And is considering event post-processing (akin to the event filter which
> goes before the QObject::event) sensible?

It hasn't been necessary for the last 25 years.

> I realize mine is somewhat of an edge case, but I'd be surprised if no one
> had needed that before ...

Surprise!