[Interest] Issues building Qt 5.11.1 from source

Olivier B. perso.olivier.barthelemy at gmail.com
Mon Jul 30 17:11:17 CEST 2018

> From: Thiago Macieira <thiago.macieira at intel.com>
> To: <interest at qt-project.org>
> Bcc:
> Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2018 07:29:29 -0700
> Subject: Re: [Interest] Issues building Qt 5.11.1 from source
> On Tuesday, 10 July 2018 06:11:55 PDT Olivier B. wrote:
> >  I am currently trying 5.11.1 from sources. My previous mails seems to
> not
> > have been sent, i had forgotten i had unsubscribed. Here are the issues i
> > encountered so far:
> >
> > - the source archive does not contain .gitmodules at the root. Without
> it,
> > the root configure.bat does not know of the modules, does not load their
> > json files, so does not understand arguments passed to configure.bat.
> > Either the archive or the building articles need to be updated
>
> Cannot confirm. I can see it in both the .tar.xz and .zip files.
>
> > - config.opt can not contain arguments of strings containing spaces in
> > quotes. In my case it was just OPENSSL_DIR that was valued "lib1 lib2
> > lib3", so i could pass it as en enviropnment variable instead, but what
> > about the path arguments that would contain spaces (for -I, -L,
> -prefix;..)?
> > Since there can be only one argument per line in config.opt, in the for
> > loop that reads config.opt of qtbase/configure.bat,  couldn't  the
> (unused)
> > token delimiter be something else than space, like ';' or '%', so that we
> > can pass arguments with spaces in quotes?
>
> Don't fight config.opt. Even if you manage to get it parsed, you're going
> find issues elsewhere. Instead, rename your directory that contains spaces.
>
> > - option -qt-sql-plugin is not understood anymore. initial parsing
> > recognizes it as an unknown boolean option , and not an enum option, as
> > defined in configure.json of sqldrivers. I switched back to
> > -plugin-sqsl-sqlite for now..

Regarding the last point. After lots of manual digging, i found that sql
plugins are now always built as plugins, since commit
0452c25aedb7d2778e5b26fad924ed61b72bbe33
in 5.8 alpha.
It looks like doc about those options was removed, but the disappearance
was never put in a release note. There is still at least
qtbase/src/sql/README.module that references those options. Could it be
cleaned?