[Interest] Using QDnsLookup for mDNS

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Fri Jun 8 22:19:41 CEST 2018

On Friday, 8 June 2018 12:18:48 PDT Marc Van Daele wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Should it be possible to use QDnsLookup for mDNS?

No.

> An mDNS request is almost identical to a DNS request except that it is
> broadcasted to 224.0.0.251:5353

There's more than the address that changes. The system libresolv is not
designed to support mDNS packets so this can't be done.

And you're wrong about the address. It should be [ff02::fb]:5353 because we're
in 2018, not 2003. :-)

> Unfortunately, it seems not possible to configure the port used.
>
> If it is not possible right now, would it make sense to add this
> functionality?

No. mDNS is more than just DNS. QDnsLookup is not designed for that and cannot
support publishing services, keeping cache, etc. That needs a different class.

I recommend KF5's KDNSSD library -
https://api.kde.org/frameworks/kdnssd/html/index.html