[Interest] KDE's qqc2-desktop-style

Nikos Chantziaras realnc at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 18:16:55 CET 2018

On 07/03/18 18:21, Sérgio Martins wrote:
> On 2018-03-06 17:45, Jason H wrote:
>> https://api.kde.org/frameworks/qqc2-desktop-style/html/index.html
>> So this combines QStyle with QML, so QML can be more widget like. Can
>> this be a part of Qt?
>
> Only if you give reasons for it to be in qt-project rather than in KDE
> (assuming the maintainer accepts).
>
> Is it due to lack of binaries for platform X, hard to build KDE software
> or ?

As I see it, it's because nobody knows about it, and as a result, Qt
Quick results in your application not looking like a native one. (Which
is my reason for sticking to Widgets and avoiding QML UIs.)

> Many of the reasons people usually give should be tackled directly by KDE.
> The software is great and already works in "non-KDE programs", so I
> assume it's some minor process that needs improving so people use it more.

If it's not in Qt, people just don't know it's there. Windows or macOS
developers who use Qt don't have any reason to know what "KDE" even is.

IMO, Qt should make Qt Quick look native without requiring 3rd-party
libraries for it.

Now that I know this exists, this is no longer an issue for me, I guess.
But if I didn't read this mailing list, I'd never have known this even
exists. I now might actually use QML for UIs (depending on how well this
thing works; haven't tried it yet.)