[Interest] About Qt and WebEngine/Chromium

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 13:56:06 CET 2018

Hi,

A bit of a wild idea, inspired by the fact that more and more applications (not just web browsers) are depending on Chromium and so often shipping their own copy.

Someone once explained to me that QtWebEngine was/is a much loser wrapper around Chromium than QtWebKit ever was around WebKit, or at least that's how I understood and remember it.

If so, with Chromium becoming a kind of de-facto "system" library, wouldn't it be possible to install a shared version of that big thing, and build QtWebEngine against it? If anything that should be a very significant improvement for those of us who install Qt from source, and thus need hours and gigabytes of free disk diskspace each time QWE is upgraded.

R.