[Interest] How to render small Images decently on non retina displays with QtQuick?

Shantanu Tushar shaan7in at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 14:20:51 CET 2018

On 6 March 2018 at 22:15, Xavier Bigand <flamaros.xavier at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> If your sample picture is relevant I can suggest you to convert it as SVG
> (vectoring it) or using distance field technique.

I had this question for a while now - if we can use SVGs for showing
application icons (which will then look good with any dimensions / DPI),
why is it common to use images instead? There's obviously some benefit to
images as people take pains to bundle multiple versions for different DPIs,
I wanted to know what they are. Most of the stuff I can find online is
always talking about websites and "web apps" which might not all apply to
desktop applications.

I see that Uwe has pointed out a performance issue which can happen because
of multiple renderings due to size changes. Is that it? Or are there other
reasons behind preferring PNG icons over SVG?