[Interest] Interest Digest, Vol 79, Issue 21

Roland Hughes roland at logikalsolutions.com
Tue May 8 12:58:43 CEST 2018

On 05/07/2018 11:39 PM, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On s?bado, 5 de maio de 2018 07:58:45 PDT Roland Hughes wrote:
>> While all of this is an entertaining conversation, it doesn't change the
>> fact that big-endian ___must___ remain the default binary format for the
>> class in question. That class was initially created for the sole purpose
>> of communicating back to real computers. Your personal view of the chip
>> universe (or mine for that matter) does ___NOT___ change the purpose of
>> that class. I don't even like IBM! I grew up on DEC hardware with OpenVMS.
> Sorry, but where did you get the delusion that QDataStream was created to
> communicate to anything*besides*  other Qt applications? The format we
> document in docs.qt.io is a very old one, we haven't updated in a while,
> because almost no one needs it. A lot of the class-specific marshalling is
> very dependent on how Qt stores its data internally, not something you'd
> standardise.
It's not a delusion, it's a reality. Being old means having lived
through a lot. What gets put into the docs after the fact can be and
often is complete sh*t. Just look at all of the database examples.

> And regardless of all else you've (incorrectly) claimed, Qt runs mostly on
> little-endian machines anyway. Actually, the proportion of big endians for Qt
> as a whole is higher than on "real computers" in your analysis, because MIPS
> embedded systems do often run in big endian mode. So I'm going to guess big
> endian for Qt represents about 1% of the addressable base, which is more than
> the 0.5% of the cloud.
Me thinks you need some sleep here. I've read this paragraph 4 times and
it __still__ makes no sense.

--
Roland Hughes, President
Logikal Solutions