[Interest] Interest Digest, Vol 79, Issue 21

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Sun May 6 18:15:41 CEST 2018

On sábado, 5 de maio de 2018 07:58:45 PDT Roland Hughes wrote:
> While all of this is an entertaining conversation, it doesn't change the
> fact that big-endian ___must___ remain the default binary format for the
> class in question. That class was initially created for the sole purpose
> of communicating back to real computers. Your personal view of the chip
> universe (or mine for that matter) does ___NOT___ change the purpose of
> that class. I don't even like IBM! I grew up on DEC hardware with OpenVMS.

Sorry, but where did you get the delusion that QDataStream was created to
communicate to anything *besides* other Qt applications? The format we
document in docs.qt.io is a very old one, we haven't updated in a while,
because almost no one needs it. A lot of the class-specific marshalling is
very dependent on how Qt stores its data internally, not something you'd
standardise.

And regardless of all else you've (incorrectly) claimed, Qt runs mostly on
little-endian machines anyway. Actually, the proportion of big endians for Qt
as a whole is higher than on "real computers" in your analysis, because MIPS
embedded systems do often run in big endian mode. So I'm going to guess big
endian for Qt represents about 1% of the addressable base, which is more than
the 0.5% of the cloud.