[Interest] QDatastream, QMap, QImage serialization

Jason H jhihn at gmx.com
Tue May 22 19:45:53 CEST 2018

> On Tuesday, 22 May 2018 12:24:56 -03 Michael Jackson wrote:
> > For Qt6 what I would like to see is QPainter abstracted out to just an
> > interface and have the normal accelerated implementation that we have now
> > in QtGui but also have a non-accelerated version living in QtCore or a
> > library that does NOT depend on a windowing system.
>
> You've described QtGui in Qt 5.
>
> The raster implementation lives in QtGui. The HW-accelerated implementation
> lives in the QPA plugin or in a private library loaded by that plugin.

Thiago, you're probably reading my later post about the confusion of QGuiApplication right about now. :-) The information that you've shared in this thread has been invaluable, but it isn't in the docs. Paraphrasing, the docs state:
- QApplication is for widget based apps,
- QGui is for plug-in based apps,
- QCoreApplication has an vent loop but no GUI

But for people in my position, knowing that QGuiApplication with offscreen platform the raster implementation we are looking for, is not immediately obvious. It took you saying that for me to know that. I don't see how it can be gleamed from the docs.

Anyway, thank you so much for the insight. :-)