[Interest] QtQuick for mobile - any experience to share?

Jérôme Godbout godboutj at amotus.ca
Fri May 25 15:59:17 CEST 2018

I would not go HTML based application, they scale badly. personal, I would said you have either Qt (C++) and Xamarin (C#) as options. I haven't dig too much into Xamarin so far, look nice. Either way you still have to write some native part (BLE, background processing, kick start application etc).

As far as Qml goes, I have done both mobile and Desktop application (currently available iOS app and Android app for BLE mesh configuration, and Desktop Medical CAD application) with it and if you design well, you can totally reused the view and component for both. I love Qml so far, the only trap to avoid is to start doing everything into Qml, keep you model into C++ and manage them into C++, keep Qml for controller/view at most.

I would said, it depends on the lib you need to do, the more deeper and core to the system, I would said Qt could be more useful. Xamarin probably can shine to reduce code quantity with C# over C++.

A few area that are painful when it come to multiple embedded devices into Qt so far (I don't known if they are better into Xamarin at all by the way) is Bluetooth Low Energy and beacon, background processing, QtCreator is no VS (config cached pain, debugger is basic, may need to restart often when config changes a lots, just yesterday, I removed an Android-Build-Tools release candidate for testing into Android-Studio and I had to manually edit my gradle of my project, it doesn't stop seeing the uninstalled version, no matter what, so I forced it). But when it's setup and working properly it goes smoothly).

Hope this help.