[Interest] Qt API annoyances: where to log/discuss?

Uwe Rathmann Uwe.Rathmann at tigertal.de
Mon Nov 5 15:13:01 CET 2018

On Mon, 05 Nov 2018 14:41:11 +0100, Giuseppe D'Angelo via Interest wrote:

> <hearsay> Didn't you hear from Microsoft? They went from being the
> slowest adopter to the fastest -- to this date, MSVC 2017.7 is the
> _only_ C++ compiler that supports the entirety of C++17! That indeed
> shows their commitment! </hearsay>

Hm, it's only a couple of days ago that I had this one:
https://github.com/uwerat/qskinny/issues/65

The related quote of this bug report is:

> The problem is hit by macros like:
> #define QSK_STATES( ... ) static const QskAspect::State VA_ARGS;
> from QskAspects.h.
> When building as a shared library, the static member variables defined
> by the macro on exported classes are not all exported, only the first
> one. The bug has been known for over 17 (!) years and is present in all
> modern MSVC compilers (see https://jeffpar.github.io/kbarchive/kb/127/
Q127900/)

So what are my options: waiting 17 more years or writing this totally
stupid workaround you find at the end of: https://github.com/uwerat/
qskinny/blob/master/src/common/QskAspect.h ?

My other project ( http://qwt.sourceforge.net/ ) supports all versions of
Qt >= 4.4 from the same code base - for tons of build and runtime
environments.

Of course I have to pay with limiting myself in what features of C++ or
Qt I'm using - but this is what needs to be done if you take the LTS idea
seriously.

Uwe