[Interest] Chasing a standard

Jérôme Godbout godboutj at amotus.ca
Mon Nov 5 17:07:36 CET 2018

I did a few medical application for orthopedic surgery, the coding standard is not a requirement, but only a simplest way to validate your software. I did used Qt into all of them and we manage to certify them for surgery room. It always depend on the level or risk your software lies on. Also if you can proof your software is robust enough (yeah it take a lot of testing and safe guard everywhere) you can pass the certification. JPL only make it easier to pass those since you proof in a easy way that it cannot goes wrong, that's about it.

JPL would be a good thing if you were to make a peacemaker for example. It's more for embedded C software where dynamic alloc is not allowed (just like car industries). If you plan on running C++ on a MCU with very limited resource, you are looking for trouble (it's doable, but the tests time will inflate more then what you will save from C to C++) and will need to take very much great care of the object you create and destroy. In other word, it's a bad idea, stick to C for embedded or critical component.