[Interest] update on building Qt/Linux with clang?

René J. V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 23:09:14 CET 2018

Thiago Macieira wrote:

> Off-topic: no one uses bzip2 anymore. It's slow to compress, slow to
> decompress and produces worse results than xz.

Xz is even slower, and on the machine these numbers came from that difference is
more important in this case.

> Both are -O3 -march=native -g1 builds. So yes, the Clang build is smaller, but
> not significantly so.

You know that significant is not a synonym for considerable, right? ;)

> takes longer to compile or increases the size considerably", you don't really
> care about size.

Off-topic, but if I can get the same performance with a smaller size, why opt
for the larger size?

> Clang carries 9793421 bytes of debug information, while GCC produces 13951906.
> That's a much bigger difference.

I know; most of my builds do have debug info so this is important to me.
I should look into using separate debug info sometime, but not if it gives
something comparable to the .dSYM folders that tend to litter my directories. I
hate that for some reason.