[Interest] Compile Qt program on Ubuntu 18.04 which will run on Ubuntu 14.04

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Sun Nov 11 06:58:38 CET 2018

On Saturday, 10 November 2018 17:40:06 PST Roland Hughes wrote:
> Trying to compile Qt program where Qt is build from source on 18.04
> 64-bit and run it on 14.04. The interesting part is trying to identify
> which libraries I need /this/ time. The C++ ABI has changed.

There has been no ABI compatibility affecting Qt. What you're seeing is not an
ABI issue, it's the fact that you cannot compile with a version X of a library
and run with version Y where Y < X. The libraries will have symbols that get
used by their new headers and that weren't present in the old libraries. This
applies to Qt as well as the C++ and C standard libraries.

And all other libraries Qt uses. Assume ALL the libraries you need have such
changes.

> Looking to see if anyone else has done this recently? Which libraries do
> I have to bring along? Yes, I know about ldd and readelf and have spent
> days trying this in various VMs. The problem is once you start bringing
> the C++ stuff over (because the ABI has changed yet again) you get to a
> point where your VM won't reboot.

Solution: install 14.04 in a chroot and build in there.

> I tried compiling QT with C++11 standard, but, it will no longer compile
> with that standard.

Yes, it does.