[Interest] Interest Digest, Vol 86, Issue 14

roland at logikalsolutions.com roland at logikalsolutions.com
Tue Nov 27 19:47:15 CET 2018

Quoting André Pönitz <apoenitz at t-online.de>:

> On Tue, Nov 27, 2018 at 07:39:51AM -0600, roland at logikalsolutions.com wrote:
>> > Please note also that "not out-of-the-box" does not necessarily mean it
>> > cannot be done.  Asking Google for "ubuntu 14.04 gcc" gives as third hit
>> > https://gist.github.com/application2000/73fd6f4bf1be6600a2cf9f56315a2d91,
>> > apparently giving instructions to get a gcc 6.1 on Ubuntu 14.04.
>>
>> Spoken like someone whose never worked in a production environment
>> restricted to official repos. The bulk of the serious development
>> using Qt are such environments, not idiot phone apps.
>
> You are apparently not restricted to "official repos" as you are
> trying to build Qt Creator from source.
>
> Exactly the same process ("compile something from source") would
> give you a contemporary compiler that would be able to build Creator
> from source.
>
> So basically your "problem" is completely made up by your self-imposed
> restrictions that "allows" you to build this but not that.

No. It's really simple. Things which (potentially) impact the product,
like installing a compiler from a PPA, aren't allowed. This is the
norm on most projects for me. As a general rule, nobody cares about
the editor you wish to use. It ordinarily has no potential to impact
the product. One site did ban Visual Studio though. A developer was
editing with Visual Studio under Windows then compiling in the VM from
a shared directory. Somehow he ended up checking in a header file
starting with an uppercase letter but included via lowercase in all of
the source files. Something about the underlying type of the volume
not being case sensitive. Broke things badly for the next pull. After
that everyone had to use "an editor" in the build environment.

--
Roland Hughes, President
Logikal Solutions

http://www.theminimumyouneedtoknow.com