[Interest] Linux openssl 1.1.0 versus 1.0.X

Roland Winklmeier roland.m.winklmeier at gmail.com
Mon Sep 17 03:24:50 CEST 2018

Thiago Macieira <thiago.macieira at intel.com> schrieb am Mo. 17. Sep. 2018 um
00:27:

> On Sunday, 16 September 2018 03:18:39 PDT Allan Sandfeld Jensen wrote:
> > No, it is not possible to support both without a lot of work, and since
> the
> > problem will go away soon, it is not worth it. Loading libssl.so.1.0
> before
> > trying libssl.so might work though, at least if any distros exist with
> both
> > libraries.
>
> QtNetwork already does that. It loads the libssl with the full soname that
> it
> was configured with. That is provided by the macro SHLIB_VERSION_NUMBER
> found
> in the openssl/opensslv.h header.

Oh I didn’t know that. I just checked on my Debian Stretch and it has a
libssl.so.1.0.2 but no symlink libssl.so.1.0. Going through the OpenSSL
load attempts in QtNetwork then I think it tries in the the following order:
1. libssl.so.1.0 - not found since not added by the distributor.
2. libssl.so which on Debian links to libssl.so.1.1
-> Found and load OpenSSL 1.1.

So if I simply add a symlink for libssl.so.1.0 -> libssl.so.1.0.2 and the
same for crypto then it should find OpenSSL 1.0 instead?

I also need to check for openSUSE 15, since I had the same problem there.

Cheers Roland