[Interest] IFW issue: HTTP request returns a Not Acceptable

Kevin Wang kevin at spikegadgets.com
Tue Sep 18 01:33:01 CEST 2018

Hi All,

I am attempting to utilize the Qt Installer Framework for our company's
software. I am just starting out and am running into some issues.

I uploaded the generated repo to our website, and linked the repo in the
installer. When I run the installer and attempt to fetch the remote repo
tree, it returns this:

    "Cannot retrieve remote tree. "

Using the --verbose option, it says this:

    [1744] Network error while downloading
    'http://www.spikegadgets.com/downloads/onlinesoftwarerepo/Updates.xml?-763156944':
    Error transferring
    http://www.spikegadgets.com/downloads/onlinesoftwarerepo/Updates.xml?-763156944
    - server replied: Not Acceptable.
    [1745] Cannot fetch a valid version of Updates.xml from repository
    "": "unexpected character"
    [1751] Cannot retrieve remote tree .

You can even go to the link above in a browser and see that it is
uploaded properly.

I sniffed out the HTTP request and it showed that the IFW sent this:

    GET /downloads/onlinesoftwarerepo/Updates.xml?-915259074 HTTP/1.1
    Connection: Keep-Alive
    Accept-Encoding: gzip, deflate
    Host: www.spikegadgets.com

So I have absolutely no experience in web servers and HTTP requests and
such. The website and FTP was set up for us, which I used to upload the
repo. To me, the issue seems to be that the Installer framework is
sending a HTTP request for an encoding that doesn't make sense
("Accept-Encoding: gzip, deflate" for a .xml file?).

Is there something I am missing? Doing wrong? What should I look into to
fix this?

Kevin