[Interest] When Microsoft comes to purchase Qt what will be the outcome?

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Wed Sep 26 00:18:42 CEST 2018

On Tuesday, 25 September 2018 04:29:29 PDT Jason H wrote:
> There's a suicide pact with the community that if Qt ever stops being
> updated, that it is relicensed under BSD. I believe that "stops being
> updated" means failing to release two dot (x.y) releases a year. It is
> relatively foggy in my find, but dates back to the GNOME competitive days
> and I think the purchase by Nokia. Someone else might remember better...

The "poison pill" of the KDE Free Qt Foundation kicks in if there are
commercial releases with no equivalent open source within 12 months of that
release. It does not kick in if the maintainer community decides to drop some
platforms.

For the latter, there's always the ability to fork. If anyone disagrees with
the direction Qt (or any other Open Source project, for that matter) is going,
fork it and maintain it the way you want it to go (after, of course, trying to
engage the community to argue your case).