[Interest] QML preprocessing

Alexander Ivash elderorb at gmail.com
Mon Apr 29 12:22:37 CEST 2019

On Apr 29 2019, at 1:13 pm, Giuseppe D'Angelo via Interest <interest at qt-project.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 24/04/2019 21:23, Alexander Ivash wrote:
> > Yeah, it could work in theory, but in practice there already a lot of
> > places which would require such a modification. This solution just
> > doesn't scale.
>

> Any preprocessing solution will require modifications at all call sites
> anyhow, wouldn't it?

Not obligatory. Simple cases like console.debug() could be found by regexp/pattern matching and replaced with empty string. It depends on how powerfull QML preprocessor woud be (if it would exist)

> Moreover, resulting binary will contain
> > string 'console.debug('password: ',
> > someFunctionWhichReturnsPasswordFromProtectedStorage());' (well, maybe
> > not if qml compiler was enabled).
>

> Why would this be a problem anyhow?
Because reverse-engineer can easily find this in dump and get better understanding of application internals. To avoid further comments like 'security by obscurity doesn't work' I need to put a disclaimer: I fully agree!. But I have such a requirements.