[Interest] Qt free software policy

Konstantin Tokarev annulen at yandex.ru
Wed Aug 14 20:15:21 CEST 2019

14.08.2019, 21:04, "David M. Cotter" <dave at kjams.com>:
>i’m ALLOWED to use the free version, right? or did i misunderstand how LGPL works?

You are allowed to use it if you comply with LGPL terms.

In case new modules are licensed as GPL-only and you don't want/can't comply with GPL,
you won't be allowed to use that new modules (note that there are certain cases when
complying with GPL does not require you to releasing your code, for example if your
application runs on the server controlled by you and users interact with it only by means
of network connection).

Even in the case (very unlikely) that existing Qt modules are relicensed to GPL-only, you
can continue using previous version under LGPL terms, or make a fork.

>> On Aug 14, 2019, at 10:11 AM, Vadim Peretokin <vperetokin at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Sorry but I'll ask the obvious question: you bet your entire business without paying for a license?
>>
>> Have I misunderstood you?
>>
>> On Wed, 14 Aug. 2019, 7:01 pm David M. Cotter, <dave at kjams.com> wrote:
>>> +1 on this
>>>
>>> i am in the process of porting my legacy project to Qt and am afraid that i’ve made the wrong choice.  i’m just one guy and i bet my whole business on the availability of what  i need from Qt under LGPL
>>>
>>> i’m already using a third party HTTP server so i’m not affected by this but it’s a worrying sign. I too agree that the HTTP server really should be LGPL.
>>>
>>> What’s going to happen? It’s taken me over a year’s worth of work to get this far with Qt and i’m only half done. did i make the wrong choice?
>>>
>>> -dave

Regards,
Konstantin