[Interest] Click and hold on close button

Murphy, Sean smurphy at walbro.com
Wed Aug 28 15:57:18 CEST 2019

> I would just tell the user that it behaves like notepad and 99% of other
> Windows applications.

That's just it, I'm not sure that it does work like other Windows applications that don't use Qt. I just tried both Chrome and Windows Media Player and they do NOT exhibit that behavior. For Chrome, if I go to a website that has animations then do the click-and-hold sequence, the animations continue to play. Similarly, Windows Media Player will continue to play the movie while going through those steps.

I'm not sure how you would test whether it works with Notepad? I just tried it there, and all I can see is that the cursor stops blinking while going through the click-and-hold sequence. Microsoft Outlook behaves similarly. But I guess I can't tell if the cursor stops blinking because that application's event loop is blocked, or if it's because the widget with the cursor is losing focus as I'm clicking on one of the window control buttons.

So it seems to be a mixed bag, although it's tough to be sure what I'm testing since it's not like I have access to those applications' source code.

Sean

This message has been scanned for malware by Forcepoint. www.forcepoint.com