[Interest] Click and hold on close button

Roland Hughes roland at logikalsolutions.com
Thu Aug 29 14:20:48 CEST 2019

On 8/29/19 5:00 AM, Murphy, Sean wrote:
> That's just it, I'm not sure that it does work like other Windows applications that don't use Qt. I just tried both Chrome and Windows Media Player and they do NOT exhibit that behavior. For Chrome, if I go to a website that has animations then do the click-and-hold sequence, the animations continue to play. Similarly, Windows Media Player will continue to play the movie while going through those steps.

This is the architectural flaw of requiring all things GUI to occur in
the main event loop. I haven't dug into the Chrome code, but what you
describe is each tab/pane/whatever executes in its own thread doing
whatever GUI thing it needs so quite honestly it doesn't care when the
thread for the main application blocks as it continues merrily on its way.

Until we can do all things GUI in other threads, you're hosed.

Your only other option (and it might be a catastrophe) is to make your
parent/mainwindow/enclosing application its own QApplication of whatever
flavor and have it launch another QApplication in its own thread for
everything visible inside of the decorated frame. I've never tried it,
just a thought which occurred to me before I had even one swallow of Mt.
Dew this morning.

--
Roland Hughes, President
Logikal Solutions