[Interest] Klocwork errors in Qt

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Sat Dec 14 18:33:33 CET 2019

On Monday, 9 December 2019 05:27:06 PST Roland Hughes wrote:
> auto will be removed though. A bad idea that cannot be fixed. So were
> trigraphs and digraphs.
>
> There is a dramatic falsehood behind the philosophy of always using the
> latest and "coolest" language "features" because they get removed. How
> many are compiling code forcing c++11 with deprecation warnings turned
> off because they have a big codebase using std:auto_ptr.
>
> The same will happen to auto. A bad idea that can't be fixed.

Trigraphs were removed because they had bad semantics. Digraphs were not
removed and they are still allowed in C++. See
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/15736282/what-is-this-smiley-with-beard-expression/15736293

As for auto, you're making a prediction based on absolutely no knowledge of
the committee. I don't know who you've been talking to, but those of the
committee *I* have been have shown absolutely no indication of wanting to
remove auto. So even if you're right (and I don't think you are), it's not
going to be deprecated at least until C++26, which means we have some 12 years
before we'd have to stop using it.