[Interest] MapboxGL offline and custom vector tiles source

Ola Røer Thorsen ola at silentwings.no
Sun Dec 22 21:51:29 CET 2019

tor. 19. des. 2019 kl. 17:24 skrev maitai <maitai at virtual-winds.org>:

> We would like to serve custom vector tiles, ideally though an API call
> or eventually a local server/stream. We don't want to add data or layers
> to an existing mapbox chart, but rather respond to tile queries by
> sending our own geojson tiles. We have already done that for OSM plugin
> (with raster tiles), but we don't really know where to start with
> concerning mapbox vector tiles.

Some tips in general for custom vector tiles that have worked for me:
- take a look at everything at openmaptiles.org
- to have your Qt mapbox-gl plugin to load data from your own tile server,
use the "mapboxgl.mapping.additional_style_urls" plugin parameter
- your own map style needs to point to your own tile server for the source
data

There are several open source mbtiles servers out there, or you can write
your own and even run it as a part of your main application.

> The tiles are not stored in a database or mbtiles, but need to be
> generated on request.

Maybe this here is relevant,
https://openmaptiles.org/docs/generate/custom-vector-from-shapefile-geojson/

Cheers,