[Interest] vs. Flutter

Bob Hood bhood2 at comcast.net
Tue Feb 19 18:42:03 CET 2019

On 2/18/2019 7:40 AM, René Hansen wrote:
> I've not come across any myself, and have only built a few small things with
> it a bit for now.
>
> Initial reactions was that it is *leagues* ahead of Qt with regards to
> developer experience. You're not locked to an IDE, like with QtCreator, and
> the ui live updates across device, simulators, emulators etc. when you write
> changes. No need to build and .apk and wait for a build+deploy.
>
> There's no JS involved. It's Dart all the way. It doesn't even ship with a
> web runtime afaik.

I've been studying it for a while now, and I've decided that it will likely be
my mobile development language.  I love Qt to death for desktop, but I've
never been able to take to it's declarative approach.  I know others swear by
it, but it just never fit my brain waves for some reason.

I saw somebody in this thread moan about it being yet another language to
learn.  Putting aside the fact that a robust developer should know more than
one, Dart is quite familiar to anybody who has used a modern scripting
language (e.g., Python).

For me personally, Flutter's "feel" just fits mobile better in my mind than Qt.