[Interest] Fwd: vs. Flutter

Christian Gagneraud chgans at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 15:44:09 CET 2019

On Fri, 22 Feb 2019 at 02:53, René Hansen <renehh at gmail.com> wrote:

> You're reversing the burden of proof here. Where have Qt stated that it is non-free for mobile?
>
> The licensing terms are the same no matter the platform; Qt is LGPL or Commercial. It's up to you to adhere to whichever license you choose to utilise.

--- Free beer vs Freedom vs Business ---

Qt is free (on mobile), free as in liberty, as long as your
application is free, as in liberty.
That's basic (L)GPL rules.

Now there's the business rules:
If you want your (mobile) app to be non-free (as in proprietary), then
you'll have to pay the Qt company for that. Disregarding the fact that
you want to make money or not.
Makes sense to me. Open source is a take/give philosophy, you cannot
use open source software to produce non-open-source software.
If your software is not open-source, then you need to $$$ a license,
that's the deal, that's the business model.

To add to the confusion, you can sell open-source software too, if
your buyer is not aware (or can't bother) that she/he can build it
her/himself, she/he will be happy to buy a binary produced from an
open-source piece of software...

You *can*  publish (for free or at a cost) Qt based open-source SW on
android play store without having to pay the Qt company. As long as
you respect the (L)GPL license, period.
You *cannot* publish (for free or at a cost) Qt based proprietary SW
on Google play store w/o a Qt license. It would violate the LGPL. The
Qt license is a (costly) LGPL substitute.

The Qt project is open-source, The Qt company is not, and through
payment, the Qt company allows you to be closed-source.
The fact that you might want to make money out of this process is irrelevant.

Chris