[Interest] 80 column enforcement under Linux

Michael Jackson mike.jackson at bluequartz.net
Fri Jan 18 19:54:07 CET 2019

I would think that clang-format should be able to help you out with this. It is part of the LLVM download.

--
Michael Jackson | Owner, President
      BlueQuartz Software
[e] mike.jackson at bluequartz.net
[w] www.bluequartz.net <http://www.bluequartz.net>

On 1/17/19, 11:32 AM, "interest-bounces at qt-project.org on behalf of roland at logikalsolutions.com" <interest-bounces at qt-project.org on behalf of roland at logikalsolutions.com> wrote:

    All,

    Yes, QtCreator will let us set a right margin of 80 columns and can be
    configured to wrap, but, that only helps with new code, not thousands
    of lines of old code. I was hoping Artistic Style would have an option
    to flag physical lines > 80 characters long, but don't see that.

    Is there some Linux tool which can be integrated with QtCreator which
    will enforce a maximum physical source line length by flagging it as
    an error or providing some kind of "find instances" search ability? I
    assume there has to be one since BARR-C:2018 (and its predecessors)
    are so widely used.

    https://barrgroup.com/Embedded-Systems/Books/Embedded-C-Coding-Standard

    Hoping to avoid a "just wrap" solution. Would like to really adhere to
    the spirit of the standard, even if we end up overriding to 130
    characters as quite a few shops do.

    Thanks,
    --
    Roland Hughes, President