[Interest] 80 column enforcement under Linux

roland at logikalsolutions.com roland at logikalsolutions.com
Thu Jan 17 17:31:44 CET 2019

All,

Yes, QtCreator will let us set a right margin of 80 columns and can be
configured to wrap, but, that only helps with new code, not thousands
of lines of old code. I was hoping Artistic Style would have an option
to flag physical lines > 80 characters long, but don't see that.

Is there some Linux tool which can be integrated with QtCreator which
will enforce a maximum physical source line length by flagging it as
an error or providing some kind of "find instances" search ability? I
assume there has to be one since BARR-C:2018 (and its predecessors)
are so widely used.

https://barrgroup.com/Embedded-Systems/Books/Embedded-C-Coding-Standard

Hoping to avoid a "just wrap" solution. Would like to really adhere to
the spirit of the standard, even if we end up overriding to 130
characters as quite a few shops do.

Thanks,
--
Roland Hughes, President