[Interest] notarizing builds for Mac - enabling hardened runtime

Elvis Stansvik elvstone at gmail.com
Wed Jul 10 13:55:04 CEST 2019

Den ons 10 juli 2019 kl 13:20 skrev Andy <asmaloney at gmail.com>:

> It sounds like not signing at all is still an option?

Yes, I guess not signing our builds (except releases), and asking
testers to use Ctrl-click + "Open" instead of double-clicking, is what
we'll do as a workaround, if it turns out there's no way for a user to
launch a signed build without it being notarized.

It's just a bit of awkward, I sort of liked how we had set up our CI
so that every build is essentially built like it was a release (well,
with the exception of this notarization, which we only do on tagged
releases due to the time it takes).

> "Mac apps, installer packages, and kernel extensions that are signed with Developer ID must also be notarized by Apple in order to run on macOS Catalina."
>
> Apple has made this way too complicated to be useful IMHO.

Yes, and it doesn't help that the notarization process is rather slow.
Oh well, one only has to accept it.

Elvis