[Interest] Online doc URL improvement

Sze Howe Koh szehowe.koh at gmail.com
Fri Jun 7 01:58:44 CEST 2019

On Thu, 6 Jun 2019 at 10:09, Christian Gagneraud <chgans at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I quite often read the documentation online, b/c the urls are quite
> short and simple i usually type them in directly in the URL bar.

I also use the online docs a lot, but I rarely edit the URL.

Instead, I use the Qt Doc Search browser extension for Chrome/Firefox:
https://forum.qt.io/topic/35616/web-browser-extension-for-improved-doc-searches
(Disclaimer: I wrote this extension)

I activate the URL bar and type [q] + [d] + [space] + <Qt Class Name> + [Enter]

If Google's "I'm Feeling Lucky" or DuckDuckGo's "Ducky" are enabled,
you'll be taken straight to the class reference page.

> One
> little thing is annoying me, the '.html extension.
> Wouldn't it be great if instead the url would be 'doc.qt.io/qt-5/qwidget'.
> That is shorter to type and easier to navigate to a class you know the
> name of. Currently you have to move the cursor around in the url field
> so that you replace the class name b/w '/' and '.html'. not having to
> deal with '.html' would make the process way faster/easier.

I don't feel strongly either way, but the final solution should be
consistent across all pages, not just C++ classes. What do you propose
for URLs like these?:

* https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qwidget-members.html
* https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qml-qtquick-item.html

> Of course to avoid breaking search engine, bookmarks, ... the url with
> '.html' would have to redirect to the one w/o.

(Off-tangent: The online docs broke things a few years ago when they
stopped supporting CamelCase. https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/QWidget.html used
to work, but now it gives Error 404... )

> Any thoughts?
>
> Chris

Thanks for thinking of new ways to improve the docs!

Regards,
Sze-Howe