[Interest] Online doc URL improvement

Sze Howe Koh szehowe.koh at gmail.com
Sun Jun 9 12:52:46 CEST 2019

On Sat, 8 Jun 2019 at 10:37, Hamish Moffatt <hamish at risingsoftware.com> wrote:

> On 7/6/19 9:58 am, Sze Howe Koh wrote:
> > On Thu, 6 Jun 2019 at 10:09, Christian Gagneraud <chgans at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Hi there,
> >>
> >> I quite often read the documentation online, b/c the urls are quite
> >> short and simple i usually type them in directly in the URL bar.
> > I also use the online docs a lot, but I rarely edit the URL.
> >
> > Instead, I use the Qt Doc Search browser extension for Chrome/Firefox:
> > https://forum.qt.io/topic/35616/web-browser-extension-for-improved-doc-searches
> > (Disclaimer: I wrote this extension)
> >
> > I activate the URL bar and type [q] + [d] + [space] + <Qt Class Name> + [Enter]
> >
> > If Google's "I'm Feeling Lucky" or DuckDuckGo's "Ducky" are enabled,
> > you'll be taken straight to the class reference page.
>
> How is viewing the documentation online easier than using Qt Assistant?

When I'm already in the web browser (e.g. answering questions on the
forum, posting to the mailing list via Gmail, or writing bug reports),
then it's easiest for me to hit Ctrl+T and search the online docs in
the same browser. Furthermore, the online docs lets me copy+paste
relevant URL(s) into the forum/webmail/bugtracker. Qt Assistant
doesn't let me do that.

When I'm coding in Qt Creator, then it's easiest for me to hit F1 and
activate the embedded Qt Assistant.

> Hamishj

Regards,
Sze-Howe