[Interest] Solidworks and QML

Mike Krus mike.krus at kdab.com
Fri Mar 29 17:47:28 CET 2019

Hi Colin

disclaimer: I’m not a SolidWorks user. But it looks like the latest version can export glTF 2 files?

You could then use Kuesa https://github.com/KDAB/kuesa to load the file in Qt 3D and use simple
qml bindings to access the parts of the file. Assuming the exporter from SolidWorks correctly
exports animations, these can be triggered also.

If animations need to be created in Blender, then the gltfExporter will definitely export them
properly, along with cameras, materials, etc.

It’s usually much easier to create nice looking animations using interactive tools rather than
hard coding them in QML.

Kuesa makes is it really easy to import rich scenes authored in Blender, 3DS Max or other
tools that support glTF 2.

Hope this helps,
Mike