[Interest] My first 5 years with Qt and 2 suggestions

Hamish Moffatt hamish at risingsoftware.com
Fri May 10 01:20:41 CEST 2019

On 9/5/19 6:04 pm, Shawn Rutledge wrote:
> Of course on Linux there are usually distro packages so it’s already
> easy (as long as you don’t mind them often being a bit outdated: shame
> on distros who still didn’t upgrade to 5.12 yet). And macOS has brew.

Actually, I'd turn this around and say shame on the Qt project for not
publishing packages, at least for the major distributions.

It's Debian's policy to publish stable releases which don't change
except for security and other essential updates. There is no argument
for updating Qt in a stable release.

If Qt wants to get updates out to developers on Debian and Ubuntu it can
publish its own packages.

There are third party packages available for Ubuntu which I have rebuilt
for my Debian systems here, as I needed a newer version than 5.7 on my
Debian stable systems.

Hamish