[Interest] My first 5 years with Qt and 2 suggestions

Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer perezmeyer at gmail.com
Fri May 10 01:42:58 CEST 2019

El jueves, 9 de mayo de 2019 20:20:41 -03 Hamish Moffatt escribió:
> On 9/5/19 6:04 pm, Shawn Rutledge wrote:
> > Of course on Linux there are usually distro packages so it’s already
> > easy (as long as you don’t mind them often being a bit outdated: shame
> > on distros who still didn’t upgrade to 5.12 yet). And macOS has brew.
>
> Actually, I'd turn this around and say shame on the Qt project for not
> publishing packages, at least for the major distributions.
>
> It's Debian's policy to publish stable releases which don't change
> except for security and other essential updates. There is no argument
> for updating Qt in a stable release.
>
> If Qt wants to get updates out to developers on Debian and Ubuntu it can
> publish its own packages.
>

> There are third party packages available for Ubuntu which I have rebuilt
> for my Debian systems here, as I needed a newer version than 5.7 on my
> Debian stable systems.

With my Debian maintainer hat on: thanks for this. But I also have to say that
we (Debian) currently lack certain infrastructure that would allow us to
provide semi-official packages, like PPAs.

It is normally not to difficult to backport Qt (except form buster to stretch,
due to some changes done to allow [cross] building starting from system
packages). If Debian had PPA-like infra I would certainly try to get a more or
less decent backport around (would break KDE and other stuff though, due to
API breakage in private API).

And why not a multiver-se like PPA for Debian's (not yet existant) PPAs?

That and man power/time, of course. It's always about free time :-/

[cross] <http://perezmeyer.blogspot.com/2018/11/cross-compiling-cmake-based-projects.html>

--
La ciencia sin la religión es renga, la religión sin la ciencia es ciega.
 Albert Einstein

Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer
http://perezmeyer.com.ar/
http://perezmeyer.blogspot.com/