[Interest] [PySide] PySide2 installer for windows?

Bob Hood bhood2 at comcast.net
Tue May 21 04:28:17 CEST 2019

On 5/20/2019 4:49 PM, Frank Rueter | OHUfx wrote:
> I know that, the problem is I work in an industry that has been clinging
> onto Python 2.7 with al their major softwares for way too long, it has not
> been my choice.

As do I, and as do many others.  Python 2.7.x is not simply going to disappear
with a *POOF* on 1 January.  I personally never get any reports from customers
regarding bugs in Python 2.7.x; I update to the latest patch release simply
out of reflex and courtesy.

Since the Python team is planning the last patch release (2.7.18) /on/ 1
January, this version will be around for some time to come, at least a year
from now, if not more.  Yes, we should be herding our customers into the
Python 3 corral, however, due to the massive number of assets customers have
that represents thousands of man-hours of work, there is a need to support
Python v2.7.x through the remainder of its life, and start conditioning those
customers to the finality of it in the (somewhat near) future.

Now, as for PySide2, somebody may have already pointed this out, but they are
not supporting Windows/Python 2.7.x because that version of Python is being
built (the interpreter build distributed by Python.org, that is) using Visual
Studio 2008. This is incompatible with Qt v5.12.x.  However, Python 2.7.x can
be built using VS2017--I do it myself with each patch update I provided to my
customers--which means, if you /really/ want to use PySide2 with Python 2.7.x
under Windows, you can go to the effort of building all of them yourself with
the same toolchain, and it will work.  It's just that the Python.org team
won't update from Visual Studio 2008 so close to EOL, and the Qt Company won't
(and probably can't in the first place) patch Qt 5.12.x to work with Visual
Studio 2008.  The two will never meet.