[Interest] XCB clipboard freeze

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Tue Nov 5 17:38:57 CET 2019

On Tuesday, 5 November 2019 07:28:17 PST Benjamin TERRIER wrote:
> Still I am curious of why a QWaitCondition was used, and not another
> solution that would have kept event processing enables during the wait.

Probably *because* events would be processed during the wait. We all know
nested event loops are bad design. In this case, this stems from another bad
API design: the clipboard handled synchronously, when it clearly isn't.

Note: I don't know the QClipboard API. This could be just the backend, in
which case my explanation is wrong and the QXcbClipboard should be refactored
to operate reactively. As Linux kernel core developer Alan Cox said, "threads
are for people who can't program a state machine".