[Interest] Licensing

Colin Worth jlk2144 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 5 13:17:40 CEST 2019

Apologies if this something that’s been asked many times before.

My company has developed embedded and cross-platform GUI software using free open-source QT, the latest version. We are using the libraries that are included with the standard open-source installation. Soon we will freeze the version number, because we need to go through the FDA certification process. The software will be included with a medical device and we may also develop a sub-project that can be sold directly to consumers (its a medical device for amputees) Can someone briefly summarize our options as far as licensing (I have already read and googled many links, read through license terms, etc., even including a suggestion that we need to hire a lawyer, but this seems like a pretty straightforward question.)

1) Are we free to sell and distribute the software with our product, or as a download, as long as we dynamically link to the Qt libraries (as happens automatically when deploying with mac/windeployqt). Do we need to post any part of our source code online?

2) If not, how much does commercial licensing cost, not for ongoing development, but just to include Qt with a product, or would that be determined on a case-by-case basis with the QT company.

Thanks very much.
Colin Worth
BrainCo, Inc.