[Interest] Licensing

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Wed Oct 9 17:32:13 CEST 2019

On Wednesday, 9 October 2019 05:48:52 PDT Uwe Rathmann wrote:
> > Similar rule is related to not being ok to develop the solution with
> > free version and then ship under commercial one. We do allow
> > migration from open-source to commercial - of course. The case by
> > case acceptance rule is there to avoid misuse.
>
> Not being clear about what cases are good and which are bad is FUD.

All cases are good. It just depends on how much you pay.

[Note: I am not an employee of the Qt Company, I don't know their sales
strategy today. This was more or less the thinking 10 years ago during the
Trolltech and Nokia days]

Suppose you developed the application internally using the open source version
and invested 20 man-years of effort. Now it's time to ship and you contact the
sales team. They may ask that you retroactively buy a commercial licence in a
value between 0 and 20 years' worth.

The exact value will be decided on a case-by-case basis. It's in the Qt
Company's interest to get some money rather than none at all, so if 20 years
of licence fees is unacceptable, they may lower it. Similarly, they may look
into future revenue: how strategic is it for them to keep you as a client?
Depending on who you are and what your application is, you could get 0 and a
future discount!