[Interest] Licensing

Uwe Rathmann Uwe.Rathmann at tigertal.de
Wed Oct 9 20:43:58 CEST 2019

On 10/9/19 5:32 PM, Thiago Macieira wrote:

> All cases are good. It just depends on how much you pay.

Today:

"If you have already started the development with an open-source version
of Qt and wish to move to a commercial license you need to have a
written explicit permission from The Qt Company to facilitate this
change. The Qt Company reserves the right to grant the permission at its
own discretion." ( see https://www.qt.io/faq 3.13 ).

Of course this information is useless for someone who wants to change
the license - the decision for the LGPL had been made long before. It is
about sending the message that you should not do LGPL, if you don't want
to be banned later.

> [Note: I am not an employee of the Qt Company, I don't know their sales
> strategy today.

And you don't care ?

Uwe