[Interest] Qt6 image size limitations?

Jason H jhihn at gmx.com
Wed Sep 4 22:46:16 CEST 2019

I know the current limits are 32kx32k, which ought to be good enough for anybody 10 years ago. But as displays creep to 8k, that's 4x the width and 8x the height of a 8k monitor. My current situation, I am looking at 50kx1k ARGB images, which is only 200MB in-memory.  The display size is 2-4k, but it would be really nice if I could create one image full size then position it in the window, so I only have to compute it once. I'm using QQuickImageProvider, if that matters.

I was wondering if Qt6 could see this limit bumped up to 64kx64k or even more? Or perhaps there is a better technique? I hear that NVIDIA has a max texture size of 16kx16k.
I'd also be open to having a massive image which can be down-sampled for display. This might be a corner case, but I thought I would mention it. How many more pixels will Qt need to push 10 years from now?

2012 monitor size: 1366x768 (~Qt 5.0)
2019 monitor size: 3440x1440 (~Qt 5.13)

That's roughly a quadrupling of pixels in 7 years.