[Interest] Qt Creator licensing for companies with Qt Commercial developers

Tuukka Turunen tuukka.turunen at qt.io
Wed Apr 1 07:16:16 CEST 2020

Hi,

This disclaimer is because every case can be a bit special. We are trying to avoid a case where someone clearly violates the license and then comes with explanation, because N.N. said years ago that ABCDC is ok.

The basic rules are simple:
- If you use Qt under open-source, check what LGPL and GPL (in case you use that) require you to do
- If you use Qt under commercial license, check what the commercial license agreement says, and ask in case it is not clear
- If you are involved in situation where both open-source and commercial Qt is used, do not mix them

I think our licensing FAQ is quite clear, but I am naturally biased.

Yours,

	Tuukka

On 31.3.2020, 22.57, "Interest on behalf of Bernhard Lindner" <interest-bounces at qt-project.org on behalf of private at bernhard-lindner.de> wrote:

    Hi Tuukka!

    > I have also tried to explain these, but your tone feels rather aggressive. I do not
    > understand what makes you say: “Even a solo developer needs to hire a lawyer before
    > touching anything Qt-related.”

    Because this is what users hear in MLs and forums, when they ask about Qt licensing
    issues. The recurring answer is: "don't know, don't understand, hire a lawer".

    And because this is written in your FAQ: "It is always recommended to contact a lawyer
    familiar with open source licenses for a full review of your project to determine whether
    you can fulfill all of the obligations of applicable open source licenses".

    --
    Best Regards,
    Bernhard Lindner