[Interest] Qt Creator licensing for companies with Qt Commercial developers

Tuukka Turunen tuukka.turunen at qt.io
Wed Apr 1 07:23:17 CEST 2020

Hi,

To me your example does not sound problematic assuming that your application is like a typical app - a clearly different thing than the store that sells apps (the store sells a lot of different apps and your is in no way relevant for operating the store etc).

Also, for any particular real case at hand, you can ask if something is allowed for you or not.

Yours,

	Tuukka

On 31.3.2020, 23.15, "Interest on behalf of Krzysztof Kawa" <interest-bounces at qt-project.org on behalf of krzysiek.kawa at gmail.com> wrote:

    > The key point is: The Qt Company, just like Trolltech initially and other companies in between, does not want mixing open-source Qt and commercial Qt.
    > Reason is simple: if mixing was allowed, many companies would use it to pay less for their use of Qt.
    > It is unfortunate that also real open-source projects may be affected in some cases. Majority of users are not affected in any way.

    This got me thinking about quite a simple case that doesn't seem so
    simple now: Lets say I make a game using open-source licensed Qt, or
    even just open-source licensed Qt Creator. After few years of
    development I decide to publish the game. It just so happens that my
    publisher has a storefront app using commercial Qt or even just
    written in Qt Creator under commercial license. To put my app in their
    store there's usually some API, config file or whatever that
    technically makes it mixing the two, even if not through Qt based
    interface. Does that mean I can't publish my app in that store? If
    that's the case then this pretty much makes Qt dead for any sort of
    game development because there's no possible way to know which
    publishers are gonna use what tech and under what license by the time
    you ship. Same thing goes for any app distributed through external
    stores I guess and I know at least few that use Qt.