[Interest] Qt Creator licensing for companies with Qt Commercial developers

Matthew Woehlke mwoehlke.floss at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 21:16:29 CEST 2020

On 27/03/2020 08.55, Tuukka Turunen wrote:
> Correct. All users need to have commercial license. It is not allowed for part of the team to use commercial and part use open-source. Even though Qt Creator is great, it can feel odd to pay for full Qt license and only use the Creator IDE.
>
> We have been thinking about selling Qt Creator separately, but so far no decisions made on this.

Wait, *WHAT?!* AFAIK, GPL imposes no restrictions on material created
*using* GPL'd software (with possible exceptions if such use results in
materials that incorporate parts of the software used, e.g. bison/flex).

That said, I wouldn't know what sorts of crazy provisions the Qt
commercial licensing may contain... IMHO though requiring licensees to
not use a particular IDE is pretty asinine.

> On 25.3.2020, 21.09, "Interest on behalf of Vyacheslav Lanovets" <interest-bounces at qt-project.org on behalf of sol at lanovets.ru> wrote:
>
>     Hi,
>
>     Situation.
>
>     A company has a few developers with Qt Commercial subscription who
>     write applications in Qt for iOS.
>     There are many other developers, who work on other projects and don't
>     use Qt libraries.
>     They talk to each other and sometimes even work on the same code.
>
>     Is it still possible for the developers who don't use Qt libraries in
>     any way, use Qt Creator IDE for editing and debugging?
>     To be on the safe side, company plans to prohibit usage of Qt Creator
>     IDE for all employees.
>     I reckon this is a popular solution.
>     If I understand correctly, Qt even sells a special option to ban all
>     company IP addresses for open-source installer.
>
>     But is it really so?
>
>     Regards,
>     Vyacheslav

Matthew