[Interest] help: build from git setup

Andreas Buhr andreas.buhr at qt.io
Fri Dec 18 10:23:49 CET 2020

Hi Dave,

yes, it can be hard to start with Qt development.

First some questions:
1. Do you really want to work on Qt5? Or could you work on Qt6?
https://wiki.qt.io/Building_Qt_6_from_Git
2. Do you know which Qt modules you need? Fewer modules are faster
compile times and less opportunity for failures.

More answers below.

On 18.12.20 00:08, David M. Cotter wrote:
> on macos 10.14
> attempting to follow instructions here:
> https://wiki.qt.io/Building_Qt_5_from_Git
>
> i'm using the app "Fork" as my git GUI so i did SOME steps there.. i think i got it all right?
>
> i got to the point of testing my ssh thing with this command:
>> ssh codereview.qt-project.org gerrit stream-events

I guess you are currently working through
https://wiki.qt.io/Setting_up_Gerrit

Probably everything is correct. There are just sometimes long periods
where nothing happens, so stream-events will not output anything.

> but all that did was... nothing. didn't even return to the command line prompt. just sat there.
> what is expected?

Output like
{"project":"qt/qtquick3d","ref":"refs/heads/dev","targetNode":"code.qt.io","status":"succeeded","refStatus":"OK","type":"ref-replicated","eventCreatedOn":1608282687}
{"project":"qt/qtquick3d","ref":"refs/heads/dev","targetNode":"it-dl08-ber","status":"succeeded","refStatus":"OK","type":"ref-replicated","eventCreatedOn":1608282688}

> so i skipped that step, hoping maybe ... it would still work?
>
> then i got all the way to executing this command:
>> perl init-repository --module-subset=default,-qtwebengine
>

> it immediately came back with:
>> Will not reinitialize already initialized repository (use -f to force)!

Could you please restart from scratch and try again? If you go to an
empty directory and execute

git clone git://code.qt.io/qt/qt5.git
cd qt5
git checkout 6.0
perl init-repository --module-subset=default,-qtwebengine
--codereview-username <Jira/Gerrit username>

Does this work? Could you share the output of these commands?

Next step then would be to build it, but let's get that done first.

I hope this helps,
best,
Andreas

--