[Interest] help: build from git setup

David M. Cotter dave at kjams.com
Fri Dec 18 04:11:52 CET 2020

>> on macos 10.14
> I suggest upgrading.

not possible, i have legit reasons, unrelated to this post

>> i got to the point of testing my ssh thing with this command:
>>> ssh codereview.qt-project.org gerrit stream-events
>>
>> but all that did was... nothing. didn't even return to the command line
>> prompt. just sat there. what is expected?
> Yes. Why are you running this?

because i'm following directions.

the directions say that if i wish to test that my ssh is set up correctly, then run this command.

so i did.

now will you tell me what is expected?

>> then i got all the way to executing this command:
>>> perl init-repository --module-subset=default,-qtwebengine
>>
>> it immediately came back with:
>>> Will not reinitialize already initialized repository (use -f to force)!
>>
>> ummm... okay....  is.. THAT expected?
>
> Yes, if it is already initialised from a previous run.

all i've done is follow the directions from the beginning, for the first time.

so, clearly (at least to me) i haven't run this command before.

does doing a git-pull in fork cause that command? i don't think so.

>>> Cannot create forwarding script
>>> /Volumes/Developer/depot/qt5/qt3d/../.git/modules/qt3d/hooks/commit-msg:
>>> No such file or directory
>> at this point i no longer believe i can just "keep going"
>> anyone know what to do at this point?
> The perl init-repository script was never updated to deal with Git submodules creating .git files instead of .git dirs.

okay i do not know what that means.  i'm just following the directions here:
https://wiki.qt.io/Building_Qt_5_from_Git#Getting_the_submodule_source_code <https://wiki.qt.io/Building_Qt_5_from_Git#Getting_the_submodule_source_code>

shouldn't "following the directions" pretty much "just work" ?

are the directions wrong?

> Ignore the errors from it and use only git submodule update
i don't know what that means

where are the directions for THAT ?

> If you want to make contributions
indeed i do

> you'll need to enable the commit hook script manually.
where are the directions for that?

thanks :)