[Interest] The Mobile Agenda?

Maurice Kalinowski Maurice.Kalinowski at qt.io
Mon Jan 6 08:49:49 CET 2020

> Hi, I'm on my first Qt iPhone app and I also worry about the future, for
> example, seems Qt uses OpenGL on the iPhone (i.e.
> QPlatformOpenGLContext) but Apple deprecated OpenGL 2 years ago in
> iOS12
> https://asciiwwdc.com/2019/sessions/611
>
> If this is true then what happens if Apple disallows creating a CAEAGLLayer in
> iOS14 or iOS15?

[Maurice Kalinowski]
There are still quite many apps out there relying on OpenGL and hence even though deprecated, any additional step would be too risky IMO.

Having said that, you might have missed Laszlo's blog post about QtRhi, which will remove this (potential) problem by directly talking via different backends. Here's a link to his second blog post, I also recommend the first one as an entry read:
https://www.qt.io/blog/qt-quick-on-vulkan-metal-and-direct3d-part-2

Maurice